Labels

Thursday, October 2, 2014

The _____ Issue

As far as religion is concerned, there is no <insert topic here> issue.

So, there is no gay issue, no abortion issue, no evolution issue, no race issue, no <anything> issue.

Religion is about making broken pieces whole. To speak of an issue is to imply at least two different sides to that issue, which implies a right side and a wrong side. Religion does not force you to pick sides.

During an interview for a job at a church years ago, I was asked me to state my side to six different issues. I cannot remember the exact list; but I know it included abortion, homosexuality, science, etc. Half way through the list I could tell by the looks on their faces that my sides were not matching up with their sides (so I got up and walked out).

It's too bad that they did that in an interview. But it's even worse that some churches do that to begin with.

Religion does not tell you who is right and who is wrong, who is out and who is in, whom God loves and whom God does not. When we find something that does these things, that's not religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment